Friday, December 12, 2008

Anna Holt
December 15th, 2008
Mr. Salsich
9 English

Though "mistake" appears to be a simple word, it carries all the problems of the world on its meek shoulders. The direct cause and effect of any negative occurrence is, in short, a mistake. However beneath the problem and underneath the devastating results, lies a small voice yelling from within. The ever-present reminder of a mistake, the empty emotion held in our hearts, is the sick feeling of regret.
(TS)Regret haunts me most often in the little things I do, the snide remark that was overheard, the rude comment in a moment of frustration. (SD)I have never stolen anything, never had a serious run in with the law, never physically injured another, however on a day to day basis some of my actions, I'm sure, have injured the mind and heart and soul of more than one human being. (CM)I have spoken without thinking, caught up in the nasty humor of the moment. (CM)In an instant of thoughtlessness, I have forgotten the importance of kindness. (SD)For me, the worst feelings I can remember have come from looking someone in the eye and realizing that I have hurt them. (CM)No matter how much time is put between past and present, there are some words that will stubbornly stand by a person forever. (CM)To know that in the past I might have been cause for such an unhappy relationship between a memory and a heart brings me a cloud of misery. (SD)While an honest apology can mend a relationship, a seemingly insignificant remark will bring regret for a lifetime. (CM)Perhaps this is what we all deserve. (CM)Every one of us, from the kindest person you know to the coldest hearts of this earth, makes careless mistakes with their words, and weather we choose to express this regret or keep it sheltered within us, every one of us feels an occasionally stab of guilt. (CS)It is ironic, in a sense, but my biggest, smallest, and only regrets lie in the power of my own words.
(TS) As I look ahead at the times that are to come, I do hope to become more aware of words, however more importantly, I hope to change the way I look back on these mistakes. (SD) As my classmates have said, we should not live with regrets. (CM) I remind myself of this every day, but the mistakes of my past live on even when I try to accept them. (CM)Perhaps I am the only one who remembers the things that I have done wrong, but nevertheless, mistakes echo in my heart, haunting me like an apparition(FAST). (SD) Regret, ominously(FAST) standing at the doorway to a soul, is something I wish to abandon. (SV SPLIT) (CM) Isn't there a way to learn from the past, but still live free from the burden of your blunders? (CM) This is the change I wish to make. (CS) I wish to escape the stone walls of regret.
We all make mistakes, but in truth, mistakes are what make us. (Chiasmus) It is a lovely thing, really. Once guilt and misery have been washed out of a bad decision, it is merely a learning experience, molding us into who we are. Everything, the bird up above, the stranger on the street, has regrets to live with. We must cleanse ourselves of these mistakes and, carrying all we have learned at our sides, walk through life with simple peace.

No comments: