Thursday, October 23, 2008

Caroline's final essay post

Caroline Burlingham
Mr. H. Salsich
English
October 6, 2008

Tell me what you know:
An essay on “appreciation”

1) What does it mean to “appreciate” something? 2) Is it the same as respect or is it completely different, and if it is or is not, than how are we expected to appreciate ourselves and others. 3) According to Dictionary.com, “appreciation” means, “the act of estimating the qualities of things and giving them their proper value,” but that would mean that not all appreciation is “good appreciation.” 4) To me, this is all a bit too perplexing (FAST), but after reading a short essay by Zora Neale Hurston, I think that I have begun to understand.

TS) When it comes to “appreciation” in writing, Zora Neale Hurston is one author that makes you understand. SD) In her essay, “How it Feels to be Colored Me,” she manages to write down her entire life on just a few pages. CM) She tells us about how when she was just a little girl, she was an expert at appreciating, even if she had no clue what it was. CM) But the moment she moved out of the small town she knew and loved, the appreciation she felt was torn away from her. SD) Zora used to appreciate everything around her. CM) She knew that everything is equal inside, no matter the color, the size, the shape, or the personality (purposeful repetition). CM) She was not afraid of life or death; she appreciated what she had even if it was very little. SD) But when she entered the real world, everything around her was different. CM) Before, she was a little girl, now, she’s a little colored girl. CM) This simple fact of life at that time made her lose everything that was once important to her, including her appreciation and respect of herself. CS) Without self-respect, you can tend to only focus on is what other people think, feel, and see when they look at you.

TS) Although I agree with Ms. Hurston about the importance of self appreciation, I feel that “appreciation” is meant to be given to others. SD) I appreciate my family and friends more than I appreciate myself. CM) I know that these people would do anything for me or anyone else that they cared about. CM) It doesn’t matter if someone is running for the U.S. Senate, if someone injured their ankle, or if someone is just having some hard times, everyone comes together and take the time to appreciates what we do (purposeful repetition). S.D) I give appreciation to people less fortunate than I, and despite the fact that I do not know them, I know that they appreciate me back. CM) As a kid, I did more wanting than needing, and now that I am older, I have the likelihood (FAST) of being able to “Give back” to all those who do not want but need. CM) Last year when the G.I.V.E Committee sponsored a family by providing them with a Christmas, we received a letter of thanks from them, and this really touched me and made me believe that people do appreciate what I do, even if they don’t know me. SD) Finally, I appreciate and respect those families who truly know the feeling of grief. CM) If they experienced loss from the collapse of the “Twin Towers”, in war, or by unnatural causes, than I understand how they feel. CM) People die everyday fighting in wars for me and my country, even if I don’t believe that they should there fighting, I respect them and what they do. CS) Just because I have self-respect, that doesn’t mean that by giving it to others I will lose what I have; by giving, I am more probable (FAST) to gain self appreciation apposed to loosing it.

1) I, personally, disagree with the dictionary definition of “appreciation”, to me it is much more than just a “quality” or “value”. 2) In my opinion, “Appreciation” is the ability to respect and understand another person or thing. 3) It is the power to do what you believe instead of just thinking about it. 4) Both Zora Neale Hurston and I think that appreciation plays a key role in your life; but it all depends on how it’s used.

No comments: